Monday, August 20, 2012

Give 'em a hand

I personally feel that having someone with ADD around can be a great asset. We make great photo assistants as well as great photographers. It all comes back to the hand thing. It works like this: give me a list of things to do (or a layout). I will hold it in my hands, look at it and it will enter my brain. If I put the list down, nothing will be accomplished but if I pick the first list item and stick the list in my pocket, I can be depended upon to work creatively and dependably until the entire list is competed. I can work happily by myself or if necessary, lead others to get the job done. 
Folks with ADD normally have higher IQs than the world at large although it can stay hidden as we struggle to function in what is considered the "normal" world. It seems that we are made that way because we have to think on our feet. We can't plan ahead (requires memory) and we can't recall (see previous) so we live in the moment. We learn to make good, quick decisions. 
Speaking again of hands, once we use them, we tend to remember what we have done. Many years ago, I put a nice V8 engine in my tiny black Ford Falcon. I put air shocks in the back and muffler dumps underneath. That all took me a whole summer but since then I have been able to work on cars (just for fun) since my hands have already gone through the learning way back then. 
For us, hand/eye memory becomes brain memory while ear/eye memory just can't. This understanding helps me know how to learn and can help other know how to teach people with ADD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment