Friday, August 3, 2012

ADD brings me to NYC

I was just about to graduate from RIT. I had spent the last 2 years in a drunken stupor (possible self-medication), my girl friend had just dumped me (ADD & relationship problems?) and my "dream" job for GE (as a photographer) had fallen through. Bummer. My friend Mark looked at me and said "no problem Bill, you're moving to NYC". 
Now here's how ADD responds to that: Since I could not remember the past, or plans for my future, I just made an instant decision: "Sure Mark, let's go to New York". Without medication and no good connection between my brain and pre-frontal cortex, I had no way to make plans or remember them if I had. To me this was normal. I thought that living in the moment was the way everyone lived. In retrospect, this instant decision turned out to be a good one.

This was my first apartment on West 22nd Street. It was made even smaller by the fact that I shared it with cockroaches and mice. It was a great place. Looking out the only window was a great view. Not only could you talk to the dishwashers for the Angry Squire restaurant hanging out back but way at the end of the alley was the back of the Chelsea Hotel! Pretty cool no?


No comments:

Post a Comment