Thursday, August 16, 2012

Use your hands

I think I have been slightly one sided about the problems that arise when relating to people with ADD. A great majority of these problems come from our inability to remember. However, there are great advantages once we leave the arena of relationships. 
It's not surprising that so many people with ADD grow up to be artists and photographers. 
I believe that the majority of the world can accept and remember information through their eyes and ears. This prepares them in an excellent way for learning within the confines of a classroom. 
However, when I sit in a classroom, I see the teacher and try to hear, but I can't keep track of what she/he is saying because I keep forgetting what was said previously so I can't tie it all together. Add to that the fact that most classrooms have windows. How can I listen to a teacher when so much interesting stuff is going on outside? 
So if I was not built for a classroom, how am I to learn? Here is how I did it. I stumbled through high school and 4 years of college. The degree has been handy but I cannot honestly say that I use anything I learned in college today.
After college I went to NYC to work as a photo assistant. It was within those next 4 years that I learned more than I had in the last 8 years of school and I continue to use what I learned hands-on. That's the key. Information does not come to me through my ears or eyes. No - my hands have to be involved for me to keep something in my brain. I'll write more later about this. For now, just realize that our information is retained better when our hands are involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment