Saturday, October 6, 2012

Working on my MFA

I am currently working on an MFA in photography. It's funny to be back in school myself after having been an adjunct professor of photography at a local University for the last seven years. Oddly enough, my first MFA project is aimed directly at trying to describe ADD in a visual manner. Here is my first attempt. 
This image describes what is involved when I attempt to read. I know how to read and I do read short things like periodicals. I have even written 4 books but reading one of them, even for this author, is super difficult.
It goes something like this: I read the first paragraph but am lucky if I can pick up one or two words. I reread the paragraph but the message is still fuzzy. I must reread the paragraph 4-5 times until I finally "get" what the writer is trying to say.
Ok, that's the first paragraph. Now onto the next one. I must repeat the process and by the time I get that one into my brain, I have totally lost the first one. If you are thinking that this might be a bit frustrating, you would be right. And that is why I have never read a book either in college or now in graduate school. So if you hate to read, have not read a book in a long time or have kids that don't read, realize that reading for them might just be as difficult as it is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment